Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A piece of music considered in terms of its component sounds.‘his lush keyboard soundscapes’
- ‘Each song is earthy, creating a soundscape with peaceful melodies, calming rhythms and animal noises.’
- ‘Through the lush soundscapes, at times interrupted by complex interference patterns, melodies are merely hinted at.’
- ‘Vocals often take a back seat to the instrumental backing of ringing guitar parts backed by non-showy chords, and the songs are rich sonic soundscapes that demand intense listening if you're to get the most from them.’
- ‘More abstract and atmospheric in comparison to the other three, this brooding soundscape eschews melody for elusively morphing textures and chromatic harmonies until it ends with spectral cymbal shimmers.’
- ‘Improvised music rarely yields results as immediately inviting as the tropical soundscapes found on this album.’
- ‘Utilizing a soundscape, traditional music, vocalizations and projections, this two-part work explores the interdependency of community and individuality.’
- ‘Although it is all new, certainly a bit stiff and smells fresh, the gentle soundscapes and melodies feel instantly comfortable and safe.’
- ‘Tanzanian hip hop musicians mediate between English and Swahili, relying on both languages to construct a unique soundscape for their music.’
- ‘He has added feedback, distorted organs and drones to his melodious soundscape, and his folk songs have become all the more beautiful yet disturbing in their increasingly gothic strangeness.’
- ‘Part trip hop, jungle and ambient, they've added a middle eastern take to their voyage, filling out lush soundscapes with talking drums, violins and the occasional accordion to spice a generous mix of all things mellow.’
- ‘Comprised of eight minimal, ambient soundscapes, digitally processed and sourced from snapshots of classical music, the result is nothing short of breathtaking.’
- ‘Lush, ambient soundscapes were one of several elements that combined to make this a captivating film.’
- ‘I try to go as deep as I can, but my background is in songs, so I structure my tracks not as soundscapes but as songs.’
- ‘Instead, the band embraced the kinds of rich, varied soundscapes that, as a whole, have dominated their music since then.’
- ‘Noted for her urgent and colorful soundscapes, Thomas's music in all forms continues to receive accolades from performers and audiences alike.’
- ‘Sound effects and music sometimes overwhelm the dialogue, and the entire soundscape feels forced and artificial.’
- ‘This stuff on here is not happy and cheery, there is clearly an element of menace mixed among the flowing melodies and lush soundscapes.’
- ‘You're likely to hear fragments of everything from classical masterpieces to thrash metal, from jazz licks to film music soundscapes.’
- ‘Relying on their well-established formula of eerie melodies, pastoral soundscapes, babbling children and rhythmic clamour, their sophomore effort rings true.’
- ‘It's tempting to describe the group's soundscapes in terms of terrain: tundras, screes, forestation or weather patterns: fogbanks, rainsqualls, cloudshapes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.