One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thin sheet of wood over which the strings of a piano or similar instrument are positioned to increase the sound produced.
- ‘The soundboards are made of the finest wood and there is more hands-on work and design by the top craftspeople in the field.’
- ‘They began to construct the entire instrument out of wood, even the soundboards which were previously made with rawhide.’
- ‘The piano's construction, with its longest strings and the majority of its soundboard in the lower register, makes bringing out soprano lines especially difficult.’
- ‘Frank once had me cut a piece of foam out and mount a Pignose amp on the harp of a Bosendorfer grand piano, pointing down to the soundboard in the piano.’
- ‘Non-expanded polycarbonate struts under the soundboard provide the stiffness that is needed to withstand the tension from the strings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.