One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wave of compression and rarefaction, by which sound is propagated in an elastic medium such as air.
- ‘The bubbles grow in size until they are collapsed rapidly by the compression region of the sound wave.’
- ‘Ultrasound uses high frequency sound waves and magnetic resonance imaging uses radio waves.’
- ‘Instead of sound waves, the team used a powerful laser pulse to create a bubble inside the water tank.’
- ‘Pitch refers to the fundamental frequency of the sound wave produced.’
- ‘When the diaphragm vibrates under the action of a sound wave, the current in the circuit varies due to the varying capacitance of the condenser.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.