One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The partial representation of the sense of a word by its sound, as in bang, fizz, and slide.See also onomatopoeia
- ‘Thus, the sound of words may be directly onomatopoeic or may give a less overt effect of sound symbolism.’
- ‘Often use of such words of sound symbolism signal your competence in your target language.’
- ‘The area of sound symbolism and onomatopoeia is an interesting area for studying the production and interpretation of neologisms in language.’
- ‘This research forms part of renewed research into the role that sound symbolism plays in language evolution.’
- ‘Etymologists are very aware of the part played by onomatopoeia and sound symbolism in creating new words.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.