One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A technician dealing with acoustics for a broadcast or musical performance.
- ‘Of course, that deliberate lack of televisual artistry is all about convincing us that this is ‘real’, that it has not been orchestrated in any way by the director, camera operators, sound engineers, editors and so on.’
- ‘Through him, I got an internship mixing audio for videos and television shows and became a full-time sound engineer.’
- ‘Local bands started asking Tony to be the sound engineer for their gigs.’
- ‘He works in a record shop and does freelance stuff as a sound engineer, so he makes a heck of a lot less than I do.’
- ‘Radio microphones can overcome this but the sound engineer must make adjustments for each performance as acoustics are affected by the shape of the theatre and the number of people in it.’
- ‘It was not until it was divulged that his sound engineer was having to double up as keyboardist and drummer for the night that everything became clear.’
- ‘Actually controlling the quality of the audio and getting it cued up is the responsibility of the studio manager, effectively a sound engineer, who prepares audio clips for broadcast.’
- ‘Buck is a freelance sound engineer in constant pursuit of the ultimate live mix.’
- ‘If not already instinctively ingrained, this information should be helpful to recording and live sound engineers alike.’
- ‘Radio hams, would-be-DJs, wannabe broadcasters and sound engineers, your hospital radio needs you!’
- ‘The musicians, sound engineers, lighting designers, choreographers, animators, computers programmers, banks of computers and control equipment were probably the uncredited stars of the show.’
- ‘Get your sound engineer to play the record though the P.A at your gigs before you take to the stage to play your own set.’
- ‘Whilst doing that I got a job as a sound engineer at The Boardwalk Club, which was one of the main live venues in Manchester at that time.’
- ‘Away from the studio a sound engineer, listening to a playback to the show, picked up on the coughing.’
- ‘I'd bring in the songs and he'd produce them, he's a great sound engineer.’
- ‘Adele is silent except to instruct the sound engineer.’
- ‘This article contains some helpful hints and procedures that should help the club sound engineer prepare for the unfamiliar and avoid audio pitfalls.’
- ‘He was five years in Manchester being a sound engineer.’
- ‘If they were in a recording studio, a sound engineer would solve half their problems at the flick of a switch.’
- ‘We chatted with him in the smoke-filled recording room to a background of his sound engineer playing the same line again and again, perfecting the balance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.