Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sound other than speech or music made artificially for use in a play, film, or other broadcast production.‘the play used sound effects of galley oars and blood-curdling yells’
- ‘Like spoken words or sound effects, music is restricted to broadcast advertising.’
- ‘Twelfth Night is our next production, and sound effects are being tested.’
- ‘I was able to hear dialogue and music clearly, and sound effects were clean and clear.’
- ‘The bass, in particular, went awry, so that each time the ball bounced it sounded like a cartoon sound effect.’
- ‘The music is quite good, though the weapons sound effects can become annoying.’
- ‘From the sound effects and music to the graphics and replayability this is just one great game.’
- ‘Not even the sound effect of thunder that accompanied every strike was enough to raise the excitement level.’
- ‘The pictures will speak, play music or produce sound effects when a potential customer passes.’
- ‘The production benefited from a clever use of sound effects and lighting to enhance its eerie atmosphere.’
- ‘If you turned off the sound entirely, you would only miss the music and the sound effects.’
- ‘Both Millie and Arthur go crazy at any music that has non-musical sound effects in it.’
- ‘You can also decide whether you want music or sound effects to accompany your journey.’
- ‘At last film-makers could dictate precisely the music and sound effects they wished.’
- ‘This was a very poignant play, well acted and well produced with excellent set, lighting and sound effects.’
- ‘The music and eerie sound effects add to the sinister atmosphere.’
- ‘The sound and sound effects are good, too, although when the action hotted up, the music broke up a little.’
- ‘This time though there are no lyrics, it's all music and sound effects.’
- ‘Characterised by sound effects and animal cries, the record was not a success.’
- ‘Graphically rich, with great sound effects and music, the game also has some very tough levels.’
- ‘Using sound effects, music and special effects the 15 children put together five short films.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.