Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rug or carpet made in the neighbourhood of Shemakha in Azerbaijan, distinguished by a flat, napless surface and loose threads at the back.
rug, runner, carpet, druggetView synonyms
- ‘All Soumaks have geometric patterns with many tribal motifs all around.’
- ‘Much like the popular Kilim rugs, the Soumak is crafted in the flat woven style.’
- ‘On close inspection, no single element is overly complex - only in the overall presentation does the true sophistication of this Soumak emerge.’
- ‘In addition to knotted rugs, the Caucasus is known for producing Soumaks.’
- ‘We offer rugs from all rug weaving centers of the world, including a large variety of flat woven rugs, namely Dhurries, Klims, Aubusson-weaves and Soumaks.’
Early 20th century: perhaps an alteration of Shemakha (see above).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.