Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rug or carpet made in the neighbourhood of Shemakha in Azerbaijan, distinguished by a flat, napless surface and loose threads at the back.
rug, runner, carpet, druggetView synonyms
- ‘On close inspection, no single element is overly complex - only in the overall presentation does the true sophistication of this Soumak emerge.’
- ‘All Soumaks have geometric patterns with many tribal motifs all around.’
- ‘We offer rugs from all rug weaving centers of the world, including a large variety of flat woven rugs, namely Dhurries, Klims, Aubusson-weaves and Soumaks.’
- ‘In addition to knotted rugs, the Caucasus is known for producing Soumaks.’
- ‘Much like the popular Kilim rugs, the Soumak is crafted in the flat woven style.’
Early 20th century: perhaps an alteration of Shemakha (see above).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.