One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rug or carpet made in the neighbourhood of Shemakha in Azerbaijan, distinguished by a flat, napless surface and loose threads at the back.
rug, runner, carpet, druggetView synonyms
- ‘All Soumaks have geometric patterns with many tribal motifs all around.’
- ‘Much like the popular Kilim rugs, the Soumak is crafted in the flat woven style.’
- ‘On close inspection, no single element is overly complex - only in the overall presentation does the true sophistication of this Soumak emerge.’
- ‘In addition to knotted rugs, the Caucasus is known for producing Soumaks.’
- ‘We offer rugs from all rug weaving centers of the world, including a large variety of flat woven rugs, namely Dhurries, Klims, Aubusson-weaves and Soumaks.’
Early 20th century: perhaps an alteration of Shemakha (see above).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.