One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a passage of music) to be played in a sustained or prolonged manner.
- ‘The second finale replaces the sostenuto passage in the first finale with a ghostly toccata.’
- ‘Particularly memorable was the heart-stopping sostenuto passage leading up to the discovery of Susanna in the closet, with its perfectly judged tempo di rubato and sense of hushed bewilderment.’
- ‘Myaskovsky saves his grief for the Rachmaninov-like Molto sostenuto central movement, which rises twice to a searing climax.’
- ‘There are some beautifully expressive moments in the second Andante sostenuto movement in this concerto.’
1A passage to be played in a sustained or prolonged manner.
- ‘You'll hear no catchy runs or sostenutos, no aria-like Mozart-esque musicality.’
- ‘The inner movements are also very beautifully paced with great introspection to be found in the lovely Andante sostenuto.’
- ‘The dreamy, Chopinesque poetry of the Adagio sostenuto was exquisitely molded.’
- ‘His darkly burnished sound in the Andante sostenuto was all warmth and violinistic molten lava.’
- ‘The lovely Andante sostenuto is also very well managed with a particular singing melody attributed to the strings, who play with dreamy charm.’
- 1.1mass noun The performance of a passage in a sustained or prolonged manner.
- ‘In poise and sostenuto, her Carmen is full not only of sexiness but somehow sex itself.’
- ‘I've always felt that the piano accompaniment of Das verlassene Mägdlein lacks sostenuto and is hard to bring off.’
- ‘Chapter Eight is about sustaining the voice and gives exercises for developing sostenuto.’
- ‘She ran away with the show as Liu, bringing clarity to both her deepest, most vociferous registers and to her challenging tremolos over sostenuto in the highest notes.’
- ‘Exercises for developing sostenuto, legato, trill, rapid scales, messa di voce and other vocal techniques are included.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.