One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An office in which mail is sorted according to its destination.
- ‘It is believed the temp had taken his bag of mail from the local sorting office before heading out on his round.’
- ‘The harassed postmen say the situation at the sorting office is utter chaos, with sacks of unopened mail.’
- ‘The demolition of the former post office and sorting office on Fleming Way marks the start of a series of projects to improve the town centre.’
- ‘I arrived home from the sorting office this evening and took a look inside my mail box.’
- ‘Postal workers at the main sorting office and two delivery offices in Cowley, Oxford continued their strike this week.’
- ‘The Saturday delivery was abolished, creating a backlog at sorting offices that affected the Monday mail service.’
- ‘The dispute centres around a shake-up of mail services that saw some staff move to the Brightside sorting office.’
- ‘The attack happened at 7am at the junction of The Avenue and Station Approach, just after the postman had left the sorting office in Tadworth.’
- ‘A mail sorting office in Liverpool was evacuated after white powder spilt from a package.’
- ‘Due to cut backs at Royal Mail our local sorting office doesn't have enough staff to cover for staff who are sick or on holiday.’
- ‘Customers with large volumes of mail can arrange to drop them off at the sorting office's loading dock until 6pm.’
- ‘An investigation has been launched into alleged delays in delivering mail from a major sorting office in Eltham.’
- ‘And while the boycott lasts, residents are being forced to go to the sorting office in Bexley Village to pick up their mail.’
- ‘The first floor, originally built in the 1920s as a post office and sorting office, was most recently used by the Rochdale Chamber of Commerce.’
- ‘Royal Mail had said it wanted a new sorting office because the existing one in Aberdeen Walk was too small.’
- ‘We have told how posties found undelivered mail piling up in sorting offices and how city events that depended on post getting through have been scuppered.’
- ‘Across the Easter weekend some sorting offices have been left with a huge backlog of mail which failed to go out on time.’
- ‘Mail destined for East Lancashire often passes through sorting offices in the capital so some would almost certainly be delayed, the spokesman added.’
- ‘The Irish Postmasters Union had claimed the company was losing out and mountains of post were building up in sorting offices due to delays in small post offices.’
- ‘The old post office building in Victoria Road, adjacent to the sorting office, will not be demolished but will become part of the scheme.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.