One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Separate something from a mixed group.‘she sorted out the lettuce from the spinach’
separate, separate out, pick out, divide, isolate, remove, segregate, sift, sieve, weed out, winnowView synonyms
- ‘Trent quickly sorted the names out into two separate columns.’
- ‘The game involved them sorting the cards out into several shifting categories of species, weaknesses and grades.’
- ‘I am all for recycling and happily sorted my waste out for disposal in the separate skips.’
- ‘She is uniquely positioned to sort fact from fiction in this nascent field.’
2Arrange or organize something.‘they are anxious to sort out travelling arrangements’
resolve, settle, sort, solve, find a solution to, find an answer to, fix, work out, straighten out, deal with, put right, set right, put to rights, rectify, iron outView synonyms
- ‘I've sorted the travel - that's no problem.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.