One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sad and self-pitying.‘he was sorry for himself in his hopeless loneliness’
sad, unhappy, miserable, dejected, disconsolate, forlorn, crestfallen, sorry for oneself, hangdog, abject, downcast, glum, gloomy, doleful, downhearted, despondent, melancholy, sorrowful, mournful, woeful, lugubrious, long-faced, depressed, despairing, desolate, wretchedView synonyms
- ‘I admit I did get depressed about it all but you cannot go through life feeling sorry for yourself so I am now concentrating on getting well so I can do more work for Charlotte's appeal.’
- ‘He waited for her, feeling sorry for himself and miserable with his own thoughts about how he had mistrusted her.’
- ‘If things don't work out the way you intended, there's no point feeling sorry for yourself; you get up, dust yourself down and get on with it.’
- ‘The worst thing you can do at this stage is start feeling sorry for yourself, tell yourself you're feeling tired.’
- ‘I don't want to see tears, stop feeling sorry for yourself.’
- ‘It's easy to feel sorry for yourself, that's the easy option and it's not one that I've ever chosen.’
- ‘If you don't feel sorry for yourself in this world, who the hell will?’
- ‘That makes him a great person to access when you're feeling sorry for yourself because you've lost your cell phone.’
- ‘The way I look at it, if you have a disability, then you can either lie in bed and feel sorry for yourself, or you get up and get on with it.’
- ‘As I once observed: ‘There's a real difference between feeling sorry for yourself and feeling your sorrow.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.