One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fruit of the true service tree.
- ‘Sorb apple berries contain large amounts of malic acid that aid water retention.’
Early 16th century: from French sorbe or Latin sorbus ‘service tree’, sorbum ‘serviceberry’.
A member of a Slavic people living in parts of south-eastern Brandenburg and eastern Saxony.Also called Wend
- ‘Sorbs were repeatedly forbidden to use their own language.’
- ‘There were his own wishes both to find a ministerial post in Lusatia to serve Sorbs in their common language and to find a wife.’
- ‘The Slovaks and the Wends/Sorbs are the only two Lutheran Slavic groups to immigrate to America, and their numbers were not large.’
- ‘Wend tends to have a pejorative ring, especially in Eastern Germany, and today in all scholarly literature in Europe the word Sorb is preferred to Wend.’
From German Sorbe.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.