One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fruit of the true service tree.
- ‘Sorb apple berries contain large amounts of malic acid that aid water retention.’
Early 16th century: from French sorbe or Latin sorbus ‘service tree’, sorbum ‘serviceberry’.
A member of a Slavic people living in parts of south-eastern Brandenburg and eastern Saxony.Also called Wend
- ‘Sorbs were repeatedly forbidden to use their own language.’
- ‘The Slovaks and the Wends/Sorbs are the only two Lutheran Slavic groups to immigrate to America, and their numbers were not large.’
- ‘Wend tends to have a pejorative ring, especially in Eastern Germany, and today in all scholarly literature in Europe the word Sorb is preferred to Wend.’
- ‘There were his own wishes both to find a ministerial post in Lusatia to serve Sorbs in their common language and to find a wife.’
From German Sorbe.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.