Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for descant recorder
- ‘The real focus of the program, however, is the four concerti for recorder, featuring Matthias Maute on alto recorder once, soprano recorder twice, and a humorously small sopranino recorder for the final piece.’
- ‘Another manipulated instrument is the ‘clariflute,’ which is a soprano recorder with a clarinet mouthpiece.’
- ‘Its tone is piping and gracious, perhaps in between that of a soprano recorder and an Irish penny-whistle!’
- ‘Sometimes it toots high, like a superior soprano recorder and sometimes a bit lower (like an alto recorder) but the tootiness, sadly, persists.’
- ‘In the other was Breathless I, a soprano recorder made of wood, drilled through with over 100 precise round holes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.