One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The most common size of recorder, with a range of two octaves from the C above middle C upward; a descant recorder.
- ‘Sometimes it toots high, like a superior soprano recorder and sometimes a bit lower (like an alto recorder) but the tootiness, sadly, persists.’
- ‘The real focus of the program, however, is the four concerti for recorder, featuring Matthias Maute on alto recorder once, soprano recorder twice, and a humorously small sopranino recorder for the final piece.’
- ‘Another manipulated instrument is the ‘clariflute,’ which is a soprano recorder with a clarinet mouthpiece.’
- ‘Its tone is piping and gracious, perhaps in between that of a soprano recorder and an Irish penny-whistle!’
- ‘In the other was Breathless I, a soprano recorder made of wood, drilled through with over 100 precise round holes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.