One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument, especially a recorder or saxophone, higher than soprano.
- ‘Of the other sizes, the sopranino and the B bass are fairly common, with instruments smaller than the sopranino being very rare.’
- ‘The real focus of the program, however, is the four concerti for recorder, featuring Matthias Maute on alto recorder once, soprano recorder twice, and a humorously small sopranino recorder for the final piece.’
- ‘A few special pleasures among many: listen to the opening concerto, for example, where the sopranino recorder is cast in the role of a goldfinch.’
- ‘Sometimes they sound like skewed bebop and sometimes like stealthily building improv, and Sanborn's soul sound - particularly in the sopranino intro to The Unknown - loses none of its famous wail.’
- ‘Maybe, but I find the bravura in the C major one for sopranino recorder even more remarkable.’
Early 20th century: Italian, diminutive of soprano.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.