Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The use of clever but false arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.‘trying to argue that I had benefited in any way from the disaster was pure sophistry’
trickery, deviousness, deceit, deception, dishonesty, cheating, duplicity, guile, cunning, artfulness, wiliness, craft, craftiness, evasion, slyness, chicanery, intrigue, subterfuge, strategy, bluff, pretenceView synonyms
- ‘It must be confessed that there is an air of sophistry about this argument - and I certainly have doubts about its cogency.’
- ‘The Guardian's argumentation is pure sophistry.’
- ‘But Keynes smoothed over the harsh Marxist anti-individualism with artful sophistry and clever rhetoric into something salable to Americans.’
- ‘Badiou insists that philosophy is the discipline concerned with truth, and that any effort to detract philosophy from this concern is tantamount to sophistry.’
- ‘How you tried to deceive us with smug sophistry?’
- 1.1count noun A fallacious argument.
specious reasoning, the use of fallacious arguments, sophism, casuistry, quibbling, equivocation, fallaciousnessfallacious argument, sophism, fallacy, quibbleView synonyms
- ‘During his literal captivity as a prisoner of war in Kentucky, he becomes figuratively captivated by her sophistries, which are explicitly coded as American.’
- ‘There are then, several sophistries involved in abdicating our positions to cultural corruption.’
- ‘When you bombard them with sophistries, wrong messages and show them only dead-ends, that is where you finally reach.’
- ‘I think you've been doing it so long you don't even recognize anymore that they're nothing but sophistries.’
- ‘Most lawyers, of course, don't internalise their sophistries.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.