Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality of being sophisticated:‘her air of sophistication and confidence’‘the technological sophistication of their products’
worldliness, experiencesuaveness, urbanity, urbaneness, culture, civilization, polish, smoothness, refinement, elegance, style, poise, finessesavoir fairecoolcouthView synonyms
- ‘Above all, though, the list reflects wines with elegance and sophistication and individuality.’
- ‘This northern Italian city can be summed up in two words: elegant sophistication.’
- ‘There's no question that this drum and bass act's debut oozes class and sophistication.’
- ‘No matter where he was, his films exude sophistication, elegance and grace.’
- ‘We Tories have taste, sophistication and a profound understanding of the human condition.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.