Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality of being sophisticated.‘her air of sophistication and confidence’‘the technological sophistication of their products’
worldliness, experiencesuaveness, urbanity, urbaneness, culture, civilization, polish, smoothness, refinement, elegance, style, poise, finessesavoir fairecoolcouthView synonyms
- ‘We Tories have taste, sophistication and a profound understanding of the human condition.’
- ‘Above all, though, the list reflects wines with elegance and sophistication and individuality.’
- ‘There's no question that this drum and bass act's debut oozes class and sophistication.’
- ‘This northern Italian city can be summed up in two words: elegant sophistication.’
- ‘No matter where he was, his films exude sophistication, elegance and grace.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.