Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A black velvety mould that grows on the surfaces of leaves and stems affected by honeydew.
- ‘Like aphids, they also excrete honeydew, attracting black sooty mold fungus.’
- ‘The honeydew's stickiness and the black sooty mold that grows on it can make a mess of plants and anything under infested trees.’
- ‘This drops to the leaves below and the black sooty mold develops.’
- ‘Often black sooty mold grows on the honeydew, but this mold can be gently washed off.’
- ‘This is sooty mold that grows on the honeydew that aphids excrete.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.