Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A writer of sonnets.
poet, versifier, verse-maker, rhymester, rhymer, sonneteer, lyricist, lyrist, elegistView synonyms
- ‘His desire was to foster ‘the emancipation of the word, to create a place where punks and sonneteers can meet and get their stuff out into the open.’’
- ‘Twelve sonneteers entertain walkers on the way.’
- ‘Less-is-more set design, it seems, had no fan in the Elizabethan sonneteer.’
- ‘After Wilde's death and the subsequent lies and back-stabbing of so-called friends of both men, Bosie became one of this country's finest sonneteers.’
- ‘From idea through revision, the process of writing editorials offers lessons that can benefit any writer, from scriptwriter to sonneteer, from those churning out cop shorts to long-form narratives.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.