One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loud explosive noise caused by the shock wave from an aircraft or other object travelling faster than the speed of sound.
- ‘These shock waves are translated inside our ears into sound and are what are commonly know as sonic booms.’
- ‘Those gray bushytails would hunker down at the sound of the sonic boom and not be seen for interminable periods of time.’
- ‘There's also a supersonic jet with a hushed sonic boom for flying over populated areas.’
- ‘Israeli warplanes broke the sound barrier over Beirut, causing a sonic boom, while on the diplomatic front a succession of intermediaries urged Lebanese leaders to help restore calm.’
- ‘Four thunderous sonic booms shook the island about three minutes later.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.