Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who writes popular songs or the music for them.
writer, man of letters, woman of letters, wordsmithView synonyms
- ‘Gallup is an imaginative songwriter who presents songs that sound more like poetry set to music.’
- ‘There are two main concerns expressed by songwriters who have written with artists.’
- ‘Telling a songwriter that his song is about the wrong subject is not how you critique a song.’
- ‘So there will invariably be opportunities for writers, songwriters, performers, musicians.’
- ‘One of his friends once showed some music he had written to a big-time songwriter in Beijing.’
- ‘This talented group of local musicians and songwriters will perform covers as well as their own compositions.’
- ‘In the Fifties, at least one movie a week was a musical about a turn-of-the-century songwriter or singer.’
- ‘It's a bit like songwriters never writing good songs when they're happy.’
- ‘At first we thought it was kinda risky to put it out, because we had our own songs and were songwriters.’
- ‘One of the greatest mysteries in the music business is how songwriters get their songs recorded.’
- ‘The programme also considers the stage in his development as a musician and songwriter in which each song was written.’
- ‘When I joined it was three songwriters writing music for a laugh.’
- ‘It was never about staying to one style for me; I always wanted to be a songwriter and sing songs.’
- ‘The other was that the focus not be on just Stan and his music, but on a wide variety of songwriters and their music.’
- ‘Three quarters of that was spent sifting choices down to twelve of my favourite songs and favourite songwriters.’
- ‘The two seasoned showbiz songwriters have written all the songs on MiMi's first album, which is due for release in the autumn.’
- ‘Now he has gone public with his own list in Storybook - a collection of essays on 31 of his favourite songs and songwriters.’
- ‘Cash has never been afraid to play songs by other songwriters, even famous ones.’
- ‘Celebrated songwriter Irving Berlin initially wrote the song without thinking too deeply about it.’
- ‘You got a lot of people out there that are making great music who are songwriters and who are great talents.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.