Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Resembling a song in melody or structure.‘groups of notes are repeated in a songlike pattern’
songlike, lyric, melodic, musical, melodious, rhapsodic, poeticView synonyms
- ‘It is song-like movements like this which remind us forcibly of Lloyd s foreshortened career in opera writing and render its termination all the more regrettable.’
- ‘Unsurprisingly, the poems are rather songlike.’
- ‘She possessed a pleasing countenance not to mention a songlike voice.’
- ‘The third movement had songlike elegance.’
- ‘His mastery of cadence often lends his poems a dreamy, song-like quality.’
- ‘Its songlike theme on the saxophone, reminiscent of a Red Indian incantation, leads to a towering and glowing climax.’
- ‘Humpback whales, last commercially killed 40 years ago, are a marquee species in the billion-dollar-a-year whale-watching industry because of their dramatic leaps and songlike vocalizations.’
- ‘A careful attention to the sounds they make reveals a very song-like character.’
- ‘Even religious services are chanted in song-like fashion rather than read.’
- ‘One selection should be song-like and slow, emphasizing the expressive side of your playing, and the other should be more technical.’
- ‘Its songlike qualities create the perfect atmosphere for a writing project in which the kids are asked to choose their favorite character in the story and write a rap song about him or her.’
- ‘Instead, the symphony is built on song-like thematic fragments of Kancheli's own devising, deployed and contrasted with unusually colourful orchestration.’
- ‘The central adagio is cast in the simplest of forms, being a juxtaposition of two song-like themes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.