Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sparrow-like North American bird related to the buntings, noted for its constant and characteristic song.
- ‘Now, the song sparrow is a very elusive creature, and it rarely lets you get closer than 25 or 30 feet away from it.’
- ‘He describes flight behavior, feathers, and other detailed characteristics of birds such as the song sparrow, shown here.’
- ‘Many birds, like the song sparrow that is a common casualty in Chicago, are nocturnal migrants, meaning they travel at night.’
- ‘Our most common year-around sparrow is the song sparrow.’
- ‘The thistle feeder is dominated by goldfinches, although an occasional house finch or song sparrow sneaks a snack.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.