Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A simple or short sonata.
- ‘Although Kuhlau wrote an extensive number of ambitious sonatas and variations, his piano music has become practically synonymous with his sonatinas.’
- ‘Her recording of the clarinet sonatina handily beats de Peyer's, the only other one I know.’
- ‘Local associations within the state present additional programs such as recitals, sonata / sonatina competitions, master classes and festivals.’
- ‘Kleine Sonate is a three-movement work with the same general difficulty level as the Kuhlau or Clement sonatinas.’
- ‘Sonatina of the High Seas is an attractive, intermediate-level work that provides a good introduction to technical, formal and musical elements typical of the sonatina.’
Mid 18th century: Italian, diminutive of sonata.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.