Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of Tajikistan, equal to one hundred dirams.
- ‘In the 1st quarter of 2007 in order to perform nature-conservative measures 4.6 million somoni were paid.’
- ‘Output of consumer goods rose 7.2 per cent to 874.4 million somoni in the nine months.’
- ‘In 2008, 256.759 million somonis are expected to be spent on the health sector, 44 percent more than in 2007.’
- ‘The exchange rate between US dollar and Tajik somonis will be advised on request for purpose of payment for obtaining bidding documents.’
- ‘Over this period, the somoni managed to rise in value against foreign currencies.’
Tajik, from the name of Ismail Samani, the 9th-century founder of the Tajik nation.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.