Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The occurrence of a mutation in the somatic tissue of an organism, resulting in a genetically mosaic individual.
- ‘One means by which these mutations occur is via somatic mutation or chromosomal deletion of one or both alleles.’
- ‘This accumulation of errors has been called microsatellite instability, ubiquitous somatic mutation, or replication error rate.’
- ‘A somatic mutation was determined to have occurred when one or more bands appeared in the tumor tissue in addition to those observed in the normal tissue of the same patient.’
- ‘In the last two decades, many genes that display a tendency to undergo somatic mutation in various cancers have been identified.’
- ‘A thorough analysis of frequency of somatic mutation in F. grandifolia is necessary to verify this conclusion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.