Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any cell of a living organism other than the reproductive cells.
- ‘According to Spradling, the niche environment may constitute a primary regulatory force capable of re-programming somatic cells to become stem cells.’
- ‘At the present time, gene-transfer studies are limited to somatic cells; germ cell lines and progeny are not affected.’
- ‘In sexually reproducing organisms, a fundamental distinction is between germ cells and somatic cells.’
- ‘So what is the hesitancy then for the modification of defective genes in germ cells or somatic cells?’
- ‘In sexual reproduction a diploid somatic cell, the megaspore mother cell, undergoes meiosis to produce four reduced megaspores.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.