One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for somatosensory
- ‘These somesthetic impulses include fine touch as well as gross touch, but the routes of the two types of somesthesis are not the same.’
- ‘Then synesthesia, or experiencing of one sensory modality as another, takes over and the basic somaesthetic image is elaborated into a full OBE with visual imagery.’
- ‘The activity of the pontine inhibitory neurons affects not only the motor neurons, but also the nuclei of the dorsal columns, where, during REM sleep, these pontine neurons reduce responsiveness to somaesthetic stimuli.’
- ‘As somaesthetic input is lost, other presentational subformats - like vision and kinesthesia - become more dominant and take its role in stabilizing the PSM.’
- ‘Since these problems are rooted in the body's visceral reactions, which most often go unnoticed, somaesthetic attention enables one to notice these visceral feelings and thus enables us to manage or transform them.’
Late 19th century: from Greek sōma ‘body’ + aesthetic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.