The partial removal of a substance from a solution or mixture by dissolving it in another, immiscible solvent in which it is more soluble.
- ‘Current methods involve many solvent extraction cycles and vitrification after nitric acid treatment and evaporation.’
- ‘Alkaloids from samples of diet pills obtained at natural health food outlets underwent either pressurized fluid extraction or solvent extraction with sonication.’
- ‘Those substances were prepared by solvent extraction or, more destructively, by distillation.’
- ‘Ether is also particularly useful in solvent extraction.’
- ‘He said upon the completion of phase one, the company would begin phase two which would involve the building of electrical winning and solvent extraction of copper ore.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.