Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a solvent) enter into reversible chemical combination with (a dissolved molecule, ion, etc.)‘water can solvate both cations and anions’‘the ions become solvated in the water, that is, they become hydrated’
go into solution, become a solution, break downView synonyms
- ‘In fact, it is still unclear if the superoxide anion is formed through peroxy radicals or through a reaction between solvated electron and molecular oxygen.’
- ‘In the first system, the phospholipid molecules were solvated by 6560 SPC water molecules.’
- ‘Solute molecules were solvated using a box of TIP3P water molecules with periodic boundary conditions.’
- ‘At this distance the ion is completely solvated by reservoir water and interaction with the channel is very weak.’
- ‘In each simulation, the initial ion was solvated in a system of 216 waters.’
A more or less loosely bonded complex formed between a solvent and a dissolved species.
- ‘If you avoid it completely, and you get the solvate, then is it not reasonable to go back to example 1 where it tells you that if you washed it in water, you got the anhydrate?’
- ‘A compound may be able to form several sorts of solvate - different kinds of crystal containing solvent.’
- ‘A solvate is a single crystalline phase of a given compound of specific chemical structure in which a solvent molecule or molecules have been incorporated into the crystal lattice.’
- ‘It has also been discovered that paroxetine hydrochloride can form crystalline solvates with certain solvents such as certain lower alcohols and acetone, in particular isopropyl alcohol.’
Early 20th century: formed irregularly from solve + -ate.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.