Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make (a substance) soluble or more soluble.‘proteins were solubilized by heating for 5 min in protein dissociation buffer’
- ‘The acidity solubilizes metals, most notably aluminum, making them bio-available.’
- ‘The lipid films were solubilized in Tris / HCl solution.’
- ‘This technique utilizes a negatively charged detergent (sodium dodecyl sulfate) to denature and solubilize proteins.’
- ‘The amphiphatic character of the detergent molecules helps solubilize the membrane protein.’
- ‘These bind and solubilize ferric iron by competing with transferrin.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.