Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The sport of climbing unaided by ropes and other equipment, and without the assistance of other people.
- ‘I was into solo climbing for a while, but what happens then is that when you go and do these things, and have these amazing experiences, it can be difficult to socialise.’
- ‘The basic games include: bouldering, indoor climbing, free rock climbing, trad rock climbing, solo climbing aid climbing, ice climbing and alpine climbing.’
- ‘He would have taken up solo climbing, and everyone who does that is killed sooner rather than later.’
- ‘At the other end it encompasses such suicidal pursuits as solo climbing and high-level mountaineering.’
- ‘After his Maroon Bells descent Stammberger endured a frustrating series of failures in the Himalayas, eventually meeting his end while solo climbing in 1975 on Tirich Mir in Pakistan.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.