One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of associating each note of a scale with a particular syllable, especially to teach singing.
- ‘Known variously as solmisation, solfeggio or solfège, numerous systems have appeared over the centuries, all fashioned to meet specific needs or based on divergent theories.’
- ‘The history of the use of solmisation in voice training has been traced in the west and in India.’
- ‘Music playschools also introduce the children to the basics of solmisation and musical notation.’
- ‘Experiments have shown that the technique can achieve 95% correct solmization of the melodies of pop songs.’
- ‘Any knowledge on modes, scales, intervals, dissonances, consonances, note names, and solmisation for example was superfluous and hence discarded.’
Mid 18th century: from French solmisation, based on sol ‘soh’ + mi (see me).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.