Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who lives a solitary life; a recluse.
loner, solitary, lone wolfView synonyms
- ‘'There goes a solitudinarian,' said one. 'What is he thinking of that he fights so shy of his kind?'’
- ‘A noted traveler, he continued to be, an adventurer, but always a solitudinarian.’
- ‘There are breakfast-rooms and supper-rooms, little nooks where the solitudinarian may steal away for an hour of communion with his favorite novelist or poet.’
- ‘It seemed to be more suited to those the world prefers to ignore: recluses, solitudinarians withdrawn from worldliness and public notice, supernatural beings and the mad.’
- ‘He pays no visits, and being a solitudinarian, frequents not even a single club in London.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.