One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for soliton
- ‘This work proves that these solitary waves, or energy bundles can be made to ‘leak,’ in a sense, producing these secondary or baby waves.’
- ‘Unlike the up-and-down, sinusoidal behavior of a normal wave, a solitary wave - or soliton - travels through a material as only an ‘up’ or a ‘down’ wave.’
- ‘Solitons are essentially the same as solitary waves but they have the additional feature that their amplitude and spatial profile do not change even when multiple solitons collide.’
- ‘He is remembered in particular for the Korteweg-de Vries equation on solitary waves.’
- ‘Wehausen contributed original research in the areas of wave resistance, floating-system motions, ship maneuverability and ship-generated solitary waves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.