One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of the genus "Solidago" in the daisy family, especially (in gardening) goldenrod.
- ‘Two plants are rapidly climbing to the top of my favourites list: salvias and solidagos.’
- ‘We grow solidagos because they are beautiful as well as tough and adaptable.’
- ‘The bouquet contains naranja roses, tiger lilies, carnations, alstromeria, solidago, berries and a selection of greenery and twigs.’
- ‘Unlike the native solidagos that are quite invasive and fall over after a heavy rain, these newer varieties are sturdy and bursting with fall blooms.’
- ‘To start at the end of the list of reasons for not inviting solidagos into the garden, they do not cause hay fever.’
Modern Latin, from a medieval Latin alteration of late Latin consolida ‘comfrey’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.