Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The state of matter in which materials are not fluid but retain their boundaries without support, the atoms or molecules occupying fixed positions with respect to each other and unable to move freely.
- ‘Trehalose tends to form a noncrystalline glassy solid state, which probably is what happens inside the cells.’
- ‘The second peak was attributed to a transition from one solid state to another with the transition temperature and molar enthalpy being designated by Tt and AH, respectively.’
- ‘For example, there is solid state, condensed matter, low temperature, and laser physics, which have immediate applications in electronics and optics.’
- ‘Several studies since have claimed to show that melanins in the condensed solid state are indeed semiconductors.’
- ‘Symposia will focus on pharmaceutical and medicinal chemistry, solid state and material science, and chemistry in homeland defense and terrorism.’
(of a device) making use of the electronic properties of solid semiconductors (as opposed to valves).
- ‘Finally, a different technology relies on catheters with several miniaturized solid state transducers as an alternative to the conventional manometry equipment.’
- ‘In the short term, MRAM is set to replace the now volatile solid state devices that alleviate I / O bottlenecks and supply hot files on large networks.’
- ‘And he has thrown down a challenge to all the industry's chip and PC makers to realise his vision of computers capable of storing more than a million times more data than current solid state chips.’
- ‘UK-based Memix Direct has begun shipping its USB Memory Watch - a wristwatch with a built-in keychain-style USB solid state hard drive.’
- ‘A couple of advantages these CD based players have is they're either cheaper than hard drive based players, or they hold more than solid state players.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.