A longitudinal structural piece forming part of the underframe of a railway vehicle.
- ‘Of course, the solebars need to be prepared and fixed to the floor before the brakes go in!’
- ‘The underframe fits between the solebars and is bolted to the body.’
- ‘The ‘plate’ can be thin because it is in fact cosmetic - the solebar carries the weight.’
- ‘Wagon bodywork was lavender grey, including solebars and washer plates on solebars.’
- ‘The solebars are moulded as part of the body with separate components for brakes, V-hangers and handbrakes.’