One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An elongated flying beetle with soft downy wing cases, typically found on flowers, where it hunts other insects.
- ‘Indeed, the soldier beetle must squeeze a lot of living into its short, one-year life span.’
- ‘Like other soldier beetles it is relatively soft-bodied, the elytra being thin and rather flimsy, which perhaps relates to the fact that it spends much more time in flight than do most beetles.’
- ‘The larva of the soldier beetle will feed on small insects before burrowing in for the winter.’
- ‘The larvae of soldier beetles are on the move in the fall.’
- ‘As adults, some soldier beetle species feed on nectar and pollen, while others are predators that hunt for aphids and other soft-bodied insects.’
- ‘Ground beetles, rove beetles, soldier beetles, longhorn beetles, click beetles, water beetles, tiger beetles, ladybirds, weevils, chafers, and many more, are all found in the Park.’
- ‘Spined soldier beetle and two-spotted stink bug are commonly referred as the stink bugs.’
- ‘The larvae of soldier beetles eat mainly slugs and snails.’
- ‘Again, soldier beetles are not pests and plants should not be sprayed where you see these beneficial insects.’
- ‘In addition, no members of the soldier beetles are able to ‘glow’.’
- ‘Adult soldier beetles are elongate, soft-bodied beetles similar to fireflies.’
- ‘This species of soldier beetle is called the Plague Soldier Beetle by gardeners because vast numbers of them appear on plants through spring, summer and autumn.’
- ‘Her husband, Kenneth, was a mail carrier who happened to be a renowned connoisseur of soldier beetles.’
- ‘In the rain today I found a handsome soldier beetle on a leaf of herb robert.’
- ‘Two girls watch soldier beetles mating, the male expressively raising his middle two legs on either side now and then.’
- ‘But other good beetles, like the soldier beetle and the common ground beetle, inhabit local yards.’
- ‘The immature stages of soldier beetles are somewhat like the immature forms of lady beetles but are larger and more slender.’
- ‘Three others, the rove beetles, fireflies and soldier beetles, are commonly encountered in home gardens.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.