One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thing given to someone as a compensation or consolation.‘a suitable solatium in the form of an apology was offered to him’
compensation, recompense, reparation, damages, indemnification, indemnity, reimbursement, repayment, remuneration, reward, redress, satisfactionView synonyms
- ‘Interest on 30 per cent solatium will be paid according to the ruling of the court.’
- ‘It has been held that these damages are not to be given as a solatium; but are to be given in reference to a pecuniary loss.’
- ‘Condolence payments, known as solatia, are being paid to express sympathy to those injured or who lost a family member during the fighting.’
- ‘The payments, which have been used in past wars, are known as solatia.’
- ‘Default judgments including damages for economic loss, pain, suffering and solatium were given.’
Early 19th century: from Latin, literally ‘solace’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.