Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pool of very salty water in which convection is inhibited, allowing accumulation of energy from solar radiation in the lower layers.
- ‘Even in Canada an experimental solar pond was started in November and was boiling by January!’
- ‘At the end of the cycle, the water goes to solar ponds for evaporation.’
- ‘They are thinking of a whole network of solar ponds bordering the Dead Sea that could fill as much as a third of Israel's electrical needs by the end of the century.’
- ‘Second, when coupled with desalting units, solar ponds can be used to purify brackish or salt water, and then the pond itself can become the receptacle for the brine waste product.’
- ‘The solar ponds, moreover, store heat absorbed during sunny days and radiate it throughout the ark at other times.’
- ‘India Expert worked on salt projects, industrial chemicals, and solar ponds in northern regions.’
- ‘The most common example of a solar pond is the salt gradient pond which consists of three differing concentrations of a salt solution, usually sodium or magnesium chloride.’
- ‘The purpose of a solar pond heater is not, however, to keep your fish warm during the winter months.’
- ‘The supplemental review process is exploring additional restoration alternatives such as the large-scale solar ponds suggested by Parsons.’
- ‘Experiemental studies were shown on desalination, pumping, hydrothermal properties of soil, solar cookers and solar ponds, including thermal sea water desalination.’
- ‘The useful thermal energy is then withdrawn from the solar pond in the form of hot brine.’
- ‘As a concept, solar ponds are becoming increasingly attractive as the cost of constructing them is decreasing compared with the rising costs of conventional energy.’
- ‘Like all alternative power solutions solar ponds are not expensive to run: it's getting them set up that is so expensive!’
- ‘Pyramid Salt is confident that installing the solar pond will enable production of more competitively priced salt.’
- ‘Operating costs for solar ponds are low when compared to fossil fuel devices.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.