One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pool of very salty water in which convection is inhibited, allowing accumulation of energy from solar radiation in the lower layers.
- ‘Like all alternative power solutions solar ponds are not expensive to run: it's getting them set up that is so expensive!’
- ‘The purpose of a solar pond heater is not, however, to keep your fish warm during the winter months.’
- ‘They are thinking of a whole network of solar ponds bordering the Dead Sea that could fill as much as a third of Israel's electrical needs by the end of the century.’
- ‘India Expert worked on salt projects, industrial chemicals, and solar ponds in northern regions.’
- ‘Operating costs for solar ponds are low when compared to fossil fuel devices.’
- ‘The supplemental review process is exploring additional restoration alternatives such as the large-scale solar ponds suggested by Parsons.’
- ‘Experiemental studies were shown on desalination, pumping, hydrothermal properties of soil, solar cookers and solar ponds, including thermal sea water desalination.’
- ‘As a concept, solar ponds are becoming increasingly attractive as the cost of constructing them is decreasing compared with the rising costs of conventional energy.’
- ‘At the end of the cycle, the water goes to solar ponds for evaporation.’
- ‘Pyramid Salt is confident that installing the solar pond will enable production of more competitively priced salt.’
- ‘The most common example of a solar pond is the salt gradient pond which consists of three differing concentrations of a salt solution, usually sodium or magnesium chloride.’
- ‘Even in Canada an experimental solar pond was started in November and was boiling by January!’
- ‘The useful thermal energy is then withdrawn from the solar pond in the form of hot brine.’
- ‘Second, when coupled with desalting units, solar ponds can be used to purify brackish or salt water, and then the pond itself can become the receptacle for the brine waste product.’
- ‘The solar ponds, moreover, store heat absorbed during sunny days and radiate it throughout the ark at other times.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.