One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit used in expressing the detected flux of neutrinos from the sun, equal to 10⁻³⁶ neutrino captures per target atom per second.
- ‘The standard solar model predicts that a gallium detector should pick up between 125 and 132 solar neutrino units for all neutrinos from the various reactions that can occur in the Sun.’
- ‘Neutrino astronomers often report their results in terms of solar neutrino units, or SNUs.’
- ‘The latest experimental results correspond to 1 SNU, whereas solar models yield values higher by one order of magnitude.’
- ‘This has shown neutrino rates that fluctuate around an average of 83 solar neutrino units.’
- ‘The GALLEX experimenters report observation of 83 19 8 SNU (solar neutrino units, the standard measure of solar neutrino flux) while standard astrophysical models of the fusion processes in the sun would predict about 128 SNU.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.