One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brief eruption of intense high-energy radiation from the sun's surface, associated with sunspots and causing radio and magnetic disturbances on the earth.
- ‘Many magnetic storms occurred in tandem with reports of solar flares or of large sunspot regions near the Sun's equator.’
- ‘Initial radiation from the solar flares - radio waves, visible light and X-rays - traveled at light-speed, well ahead of the clouds of charged particles.’
- ‘A solar flare or burst in cosmic radiation would eventually kill humans unless a greater level of protection can be provided.’
- ‘The severe weather on Earth is likely related to sunspots and solar flares on the sun.’
- ‘The intense X rays from a solar flare travel to Earth at the speed of light, giving space weather watchers little time to react.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.