One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brief eruption of intense high-energy radiation from the sun's surface, associated with sunspots and causing radio and magnetic disturbances on the earth.
- ‘Many magnetic storms occurred in tandem with reports of solar flares or of large sunspot regions near the Sun's equator.’
- ‘The intense X rays from a solar flare travel to Earth at the speed of light, giving space weather watchers little time to react.’
- ‘A solar flare or burst in cosmic radiation would eventually kill humans unless a greater level of protection can be provided.’
- ‘The severe weather on Earth is likely related to sunspots and solar flares on the sun.’
- ‘Initial radiation from the solar flares - radio waves, visible light and X-rays - traveled at light-speed, well ahead of the clouds of charged particles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.