One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The time between successive meridian transits of the sun at a particular place.
twenty-four-hour period, full day, twenty-four hours, working dayView synonyms
- ‘Its eccentricity and inclination are greater than those of any other planet except Pluto, but its unique feature is that the year is actually shorter than the solar day!’
- ‘Hence, saying that a 5000-kg dinosaur has to avoid the sun means that it has to reduce radiative heat load during a whole solar day.’
- ‘Either timer will enable you to determine, with great accuracy, how long it takes for the Sun to revolve around the Earth: the solar day.’
- ‘Your operations duty time started one solar day ago.’
- ‘It is a planet with an unusual rotation rate, such that the solar day on Mercury lasts two Earth years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.