One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The time between successive meridian transits of the sun at a particular place.
twenty-four-hour period, full day, twenty-four hours, working dayView synonyms
- ‘Hence, saying that a 5000-kg dinosaur has to avoid the sun means that it has to reduce radiative heat load during a whole solar day.’
- ‘Its eccentricity and inclination are greater than those of any other planet except Pluto, but its unique feature is that the year is actually shorter than the solar day!’
- ‘It is a planet with an unusual rotation rate, such that the solar day on Mercury lasts two Earth years.’
- ‘Your operations duty time started one solar day ago.’
- ‘Either timer will enable you to determine, with great accuracy, how long it takes for the Sun to revolve around the Earth: the solar day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.