Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The branch of science concerned with the formation, nature, ecology, and classification of soil.→ pedology
- ‘We've made huge advances in agricultural mechanization, in fertilization, in soil science.’
- ‘In the early days of soil science, rock type was thought to be the most important factor.’
- ‘At the time, I had recently moved from a home on good clay soil to a home on sandy soil, and I was teaching chemistry, soil science and agricultural botany at Fremantle Technical College, Australia.’
- ‘The three main emphasis areas are ornamental horticulture, environmental and soil science, and genetics and crop breeding.’
- ‘I suggest that perhaps he might have more time for researching worms if he finished the graduate work he abandoned decades ago, in soil science at Oregon State University.’
- ‘Its plan rightly talks of the need to train a workforce with the appropriate skills, which need to be broad and embrace other areas of environmental science (for example, hydrology, plant and soil science, and atmospheric chemistry).’
- ‘This farmer has a doctorate in agronomy/soil fertility and a master's in soil science and is one of the nation's leading advocates of sustainable agriculture.’
- ‘He started college with the intent of majoring in soil science, with minors in horticulture and arboriculture.’
- ‘Organic techniques have been developed from an understanding of and research into soil science, crop breeding, animal husbandry and ecology.’
- ‘The loose-leaf binder that carries the information is organized into three major sections: organic farming and gardening skills and practices, applied soil science, and social and environmental issues in agriculture.’
- ‘Russians were recognized as pre-eminent in soil science and petroleum chemistry.’
- ‘‘Russians invented the study of soil science and through their help, a large step forward has been taken in measuring acid rain effects on soils and trees,’ he said.’
- ‘The authors do an excellent job of discussing the nuances between soil science and geology.’
- ‘The course of study embraces everything from tractor operation and maintenance to bookkeeping, personnel management, botany and soil science.’
- ‘‘I really looked forward to finding solutions to reverse this erosion,’ says Jezile, who is now studying soil science and ecology on rangelands.’
- ‘At the same time it became clear that the revolution in yields initiated by fallowing was based on a profound misunderstanding of soil science.’
- ‘We recommend this book to advanced students and teams of scientists working in many areas of root research, in plant physiology, soil science, plant breeding, forestry and horticulture.’
- ‘Approaches to cave sediments by archaeologists and geoarchaeologists have typically been borrowed directly from sedimentology or soil science.’
- ‘Data from organic farming, appropriate technology, agroforestry, soil science, aquaculture, and a dozen other disciplines all support the techniques organized by permaculture.’
- ‘The objective of this project was to evaluate an on-line web-based soil erosion lesson as a supplemental resource for introductory undergraduate soil science.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.