One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Resembling or suggestive of earth or soil.‘worms excrete a soil-like, rich, dark humus’
- ‘Mature compost is a stable material with a content called humus that's dark brown or black in appearance and has a soil-like or "earthy" smell.’
- ‘Grabbing a handful of the finished compost from below a silver tarp, he ran the coarse, dark, soil-like grains through his fingers, gauging the feel of the organic material it contains, specifically the healthy bacteria and fungus that will promote plant growth.’
- ‘Portland cement is made by crushing, heating, and crushing again a mixture of rocks and soil-like substances, the main ones being types of limestone, chalk and clay.’
- ‘Composting breaks down waste materials from your garden and kitchen into a nutrient-rich, dark, soil-like matter that can be used to amend your soil.’
- ‘This crumbly, soil-like material improves soil texture by increasing the drainage of heavy clay soils and the water and nutrient retention of light, sandy soils.’
- ‘Soil-like material found at the base of the cliffs should also be dried and soaked to break down any remaining rock fragments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.