Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The programs and other operating information used by a computer.[as modifier] ‘the software industry’Compare with hardware
program, software, routine, useView synonyms
- ‘The software means that computers can treat voice in the same way as text, or any other form of data.’
- ‘We're trying to make all software secure all the time so computing is safe for everyone.’
- ‘It is clear enough that nobody is forced to commercialize their code as free software.’
- ‘Get some basic animation software for your computer and start to play about with it at home.’
- ‘You may have conflict trouble with any software that plays about with disk drives.’
- ‘Customers should be able to move software from server to server in a much more fluid way than in the past.’
- ‘There are also severe restrictions on the types of software that can be patented.’
- ‘Users will also need special software to play the files on their desktop computers.’
- ‘My belief is that voice recognition software is now so good that anyone can blog if they can speak.’
- ‘These lapses have nothing to do with the operating system or software being used.’
- ‘One of the perks of having a job like mine is that I get to try out lots of new software.’
- ‘This software protects data on single systems and clusters on a wide range of platforms.’
- ‘This is a fancy piece of software and so the company logically went for a patent.’
- ‘What's important is to get the client using the blog software and seeing the value in it.’
- ‘The company develops software that mimics the human brain in the way that it works.’
- ‘The suspect is in charge of data input and software operations at a company, police said.’
- ‘The basic issue at hand is whether computer software can or should be entitled to a patent.’
- ‘There is no real work that needs to be done to software in order to take advantage of the multicore chips.’
- ‘In the work we do, computers and other hardware and software are the tools we use.’
- ‘I was wondering if anyone could advise me on setting up voice software for use in gameplay.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.