One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A freshwater turtle with a flattened leathery shell, native to Asia, Africa, and North America.
Family Trionychidae: several genera and many species, including the spiny softshell (Apalone or 'Trionyx' spinifera) of North America
- ‘Other turtles identified were softshell (Apalone sp.) and snapping turtles (Chelydra sp.).’
- ‘While hiking, canoeing, kayaking, or eating a picnic lunch, watch for Gulf Coast spiny softshell turtles, loggerhead shrikes, pileated woodpeckers, Seminole bats, and spotted salamanders.’
- ‘Additionally, we question whether it is possible for softshell turtles to reach the Hudson River via the Erie Canal from Oneida Lake in a span of four years.’
- ‘Superficially, softshells can be distinguished by their dorsoventral compression, leathery shells, and elongate snout.’
- ‘The Carettochelyidae are most closely related to the Trionychidae (softshell turtles).’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.