One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A children's toy, typically a toy animal, made of fabric stuffed with a soft filling.
- ‘There are so many dolls and soft toys in need of names.’
- ‘Stalls were decked out with various soft toys of all shapes and sizes as well as large selection of bric-a-brac, which had been donated by parents and children.’
- ‘Amid all the fabled soft toys, there are dolls galore.’
- ‘For the first time since falling suddenly and violently ill with the deadly meningitis B strain 19 days ago, Danielle Skilbeck is well enough to play with her soft toys, watch videos and even ask for her favourite fast food.’
- ‘Every year, the firm, which also has stores in Malton and Goole, makes sure that children stuck in hospital for the festive season get a dose of Christmas cheer in the form of soft toys.’
- ‘Additionally, freeze soft toys or small items overnight and follow this with a hot wash at 60 ¼ C to kill mites and their eggs.’
- ‘But he was content to just lie in his cot and suck and slobber on his tiny little fingers, and stare at the soft toys until he dozed off.’
- ‘Out in the corridor, a basket of soft toys is an attempt to make the clinic more child-friendly - but, in the stark corridor, it manages only to look sad.’
- ‘With the trees up, the rest of the room looks empty, so you fill it with a menagerie of soft toys in Christmassy outfits; angelic bears, skating rabbits and snowballing penguins, each with their quota of wind-up activity and music.’
- ‘While the operation was under way she and Martinez waited in a separate room watching television and receiving visitors who brought flowers and soft toys.’
- ‘Youngsters can read and listen to stories with their parents and then act them out using puppets and soft toys.’
- ‘Children having to spend Christmas at York and Scarborough Hospitals will be cheered by the arrival of soft toys and gifts, donated by a big-hearted family store in York as part of a charity initiative supported by this newspaper.’
- ‘Remove cushions and soft toys, and buy bedding made from synthetic fabric rather than using feather pillows and woollen blankets.’
- ‘Attractive varieties of soft toys, teddy bears and monkeys, wall-hangings and fabric paintings are also there at the fair.’
- ‘The seasonal traditional fair was organised by the Friends of Whitehall and featured hand-made soft toys and Christmas cards.’
- ‘Each year the riders enjoy a ride-out, during which hundreds of soft toys are collected for children in hospitals.’
- ‘Pram beads - a row of plastic or soft toys strung on elastic, which you hook across your baby's pushchair or pram, will keep him entertained.’
- ‘However, Mr Blanshard said the forum had already identified cleanliness problems surrounding patients' laundry and children's soft toys.’
- ‘All you have to do is buy a piece of pre-chosen fabric, which you can make into a number of different types of craft ideas, from a small quilt or wall hanging, to bags, and soft toys - like a doll or bear.’
- ‘The main categories of toys exported are soft toys, dolls, plastic toys, educational toys, electronic and mechanical toys and games and puzzles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.