One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Any of a number of bacterial and fungal diseases of fruit and vegetables in which the tissue becomes soft and slimy.
- ‘As they feed, borers introduce bacteria that cause a soft rot that ultimately turns leaves brown and destroys the plants.’
- ‘Especially in warmer climates, the fungus that causes leaf blight can also cause a fruit rot called soft rot.’
- ‘Irises need fast-draining soil to avoid soft rot.’
- ‘Rhizopus soft rot of papaya is characterized by a soft and watery rot that quickly collapses the entire fruit but leaves the cuticle intact.’
- ‘The appearance of soft rot in the tubers injected with the supernatant confirmed that the bacterial culture was viable and producing exoenzymes when grown in LB media.’
- 1.1 Any of a number of fungal conditions affecting timber, which becomes soft and friable.
- ‘Soft rot is different from other types of wood decay.’
- ‘Soft rot in wood often appears brown and can be confused with decay caused by brown rot fungi.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.