One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A legible version of a piece of information not printed on a physical medium, especially as stored or displayed on a computer.
- ‘The soft copy of our eight-page thesis proposal is missing, and I will have to retype it again.’
- ‘‘We have given them hard copies, as well as soft copies, of all the representations made to us,’ Tsang said.’
- ‘Any soft copies, disks and backup tapes are to remain only at their office, never to be taken out to see the light of day.’
- ‘Nominations must reach the Directorate of Honours and Awards no later than May 31 this year in both hard and soft copy.’
- ‘So we refer to a soft copy of a CD-ROM disk as an ISO 9660 image.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.